Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Problem With Perfect

They all seem to end the same: music plays softly in the background as they embrace and *sigh* they kiss (finally) as the screen fades to black and the credits begin to roll.

I enjoy a chick flick as much as the next girl; any movie that can suck your brain out of your skull and stick it into a perfect, polished world where "happily ever after" is never far away, definatly deserves some appaulse. But, what about after the screen fades? (For those of you rolling your eyes and thinking that I'm about to be terribly sinical... don't click that 'X' button quite yet). Falling in love isn't that great! Theres no soft glow, theres no violin music, and evenually after the first kiss is over, and after you've said your 'I do's', theres still life. You still have to wake up next to them day after day. You have to share a bathroom with them, eat with them, sleep with them, and organize your life around them. I'm not about to say whether this is worth it or not-- I'm undecided on that point. However, since I suffer from the terminal illness of desiring to get married... then I very much hope that it is worth it. I very much hope that even after 5, 10, or 50 years, I will be able to look back and know that every tear I cried for that person, and that every dream I gave up for that person, was entirely worth it.


I started this wanting to get very angry at the media for not captivating people with a longing to love, not just fall in love. However, at this particular moment, I'm rather happy they don't. After doing such an excellent job at warping the idea of "falling in love", I'm sure they would do an even better job of warping "love" in terms of a real commited relationship. So, thanks Disney, and Universal Studios, and all the rest for not spoiling this too. ;)

No comments: